The Inn sits on the Niagara Escarpment that was formally recognized by the United Nations as a significant natural region who’s unique landscape was worthy of preservation for all time. In 1990 UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) designated the Escarpment as a World Biosphere reserve, putting it in distinguished company with such exotic global locales as Africa’ Serengeti Plains, the Galapagos islands, the Central Amazon, the Florida Everglades and B.C.’s high profile Clayoquot Sound. The Inn is perched on a ridge overlooking the Pristine Pretty River Valley Provincial Park. The breathtaking views boast no human habitation in sight! Hiking through the 1,022 hectare, (3,050 acres) you have the opportunity to observe over 400 species of vascular plants while enjoying the Bruce Trail hikes throughout the park. Back at the Inn be prepared to experience an authentic country experience
We believe ourselves custodians of the Inn and the land that it sits on and ask all our guests to celebrate this glorious location with us, but also to appreciate the impact that we all make on the environment.
- We ask you to think about the resources that you use when staying at the Inn.
- Electric car charger has been installed for our guests use
- We are researching and continually putting into practices new procedures regarding green practices.
- We separate and recycle all garbage collected from the guest rooms.
- We have installed Waterloo Biofilter for our septic system co-developed by the University of Waterloo.
- “There was very little impact on our environmentally sensitive property when the Biofilter® was installed and the treated water is available to be used on watering trees. We are exploring water turbines to be installed in our stream to hopefully push power back into the hydro grid. We divert water from the streams and pond to water our gardens.
- We have taken action to ensure that our “Farm” has a government certified “Environmental” Farm Plan in place. Our facility is classed as an “Environmentally Friendly Inn”. This term to us means that we step gently on our land leaving it we hope to future generations in better condition than we found it.
- The apple orchard and gardens are sustained pesticide free. Top Bar Bee Hives thrive in our environment. Our animals are fed from a small independent feed mill that provides the best in wholesome and “no meds” feed that contributes to the quality of health that our animals enjoy. Our cleaning products are biodegradable.
- We use LED lights when feasible.
- We do not impose environmental sacrifices on our guests but we do provide an opportunity and a forum for our guests to participate if they so choose in helping us to make a difference.
- Such actions such as re-using towels, turning the heat and air conditioning down a few notches when leaving for the day all help enormously.
- And last but not least we have established an “eco-fund” whereby $10 from each guest room night is set aside to implement additional Eco-Green projects at the Inn and the surrounding grounds.
We thank all who appreciate our position and our attempt to take
the right step forward for us and the earth one night at a time!